RESEARCH, LISTEN AND LEARN
We recognize that being informed about the problems and most relevant research is critical to success, yet we are not the leading experts on the programmatic solutions. As a result, we put a premium on developing relationships with experts and gathering their perspectives.
POTENTIAL FOR IMPACT
A clear mission and well vetted, evaluated programmatic approach are the foundation for impact. However, nonprofits must also have additional characteristics to succeed, including:
- Excellent leaders: Even the best idea is impotent without strong, capable, and decisive leadership;
- Measurable results: While gathering definitive proof is not always possible, we invest based on results and believe that the most effective nonprofit leaders manage their organizations with a commitment to measurement and a focus on outcomes;
- Sustainable approaches: Change requires many years and sustainable funding streams. A sustainable financial model is a must.
We are clear that the agents of change are the nonprofits we support – not One8 itself. As a result, we identify organizations with missions, strategies, and capacity that are well matched with our goals and then provide organization-wide (not program-specific) support.
We believe that focused attention and funding for a small number of organizations allows for the greatest possible results. Our grant-making approach includes:
- High standards in selection;
- Aligned, clear grant hypothesis and ambitious goal setting;
- Meaningful financial grants;
- Focused consulting and implementation support on an as needed basis;
- Strong, trusting relationships established over time.
We provide dogged support, strategic assistance and ongoing coaching to grantee organizations:
- To clarify their theories of change and strengthen their business plans;
- To communicate their work powerfully to others;
- To provide “block & tackle” support, ongoing advice and a safe haven for rigorous problem-solving;
- To advocate for them with other funders, decision-makers and political leaders.